1000 Reasons to Ride on September 10th 2017
Hello again riders, and welcome back to the Thousand Islands Gran Fondo—take 3. I’m happy to see that the ride that started out as a concept continues to grow. In 2017 we are preparing to welcome 500 riders from across Ontario, Quebec, New York, and parts unknown! We’ve also made some fun improvements that should open up the ride to anyone up for a challenge.
- We will have four-speed pelotons to choose from 20kph, 25kph, 30kph and fast!
- Each group will have its own pace rider and support vehicle
- Three distances to choose from 90km, 120km, 160km
- New finish line on Wellington Street in front of Douglas Fur Park
- Sportstats will provide ride day timing with splits at the start, 30km, 90km, 120km and finish.
- Best value anywhere! A race jersey from Pearl Izumi, a water bottle, refreshments, lunch, and a great ride for under $150?
- Pearl Izumi is providing the Shimano truck fully stocked with mechanics to help pre-ride and during
- Police escort into the Thousand Islands
- Best post-race food you will ever get after a big ride
If you’ve never ridden through the Thousand Islands in early fall, you are missing one of Canada’s hidden cycling gems. The course is well-marked and simple to navigate. Much of the ride is on either dedicated lanes or paved secondary roads. We’d like to think you’ll see more wildlife and farm animals than motor vehicles.
Whether you’re a local cyclist, a seasoned fondo-er, or new to cycling looking for a great culminating event to end your summer of training, we welcome you. Take the challenge and train this summer to ride the Thousand Islands. This is an event that is open to all levels and we highly encourage new riders to come out and celebrate fitness and cycling in eastern Ontario.
See you in September!